Sustainable development aligns naturally with our values and our vision for collective, sustainable wealth. Since adopting our first Sustainable Development Action Plan in 2009, we have accomplished numerous activities and taken concrete steps to generate a positive and sustainable impact.
2019-2020 Action Plan
To align with the government’s current strategy covering up to 2020, la Caisse adopted an initial plan covering 2016 to 2018 that was extendable to 2020. The following plan describes the actions that will be taken over the next two years as part of the extension of the 2016 to 2018 plan. This plan is based on the government's current strategy arising from Québec's Sustainable Development Act (CQLR c. D-8.1.1).
The five aspects of our sustainable development plan
- Strengthen sustainable development governance in the public service.
- Develop a sustainably prosperous economy: green and responsible.
- Manage natural resources responsibly while respecting biodiversity.
- Foster social inclusion and reduce social and economic inequalities.
- Encourage the production and use of renewable forms of energy as well as energy efficiency to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Our sustainable development plan sets out the major strategic directions for our objectives, actions and concrete measures to effect positive and sustainable social and environmental changes.
Signatory to the UN’s PRI since 2006
CDPQ was also one of the first institutional investors to integrate the United Nation's six Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI). These principles call for the integration of environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into investment activities. We believe that by applying these principles, investors are given a framework conducive to achieving a better return while favouring sustainable development.
By adhering to these principles, we are joining in international efforts to promote this type of investing. We actively implement them, and we attend events with major players in the international financial community.
The six Principles for Responsible Investment
We will incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
We will promote acceptance and implementation of the principles within the investment industry.
We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the principles.
We will each report on our activities and progress towards implementing the principles.
PRI: Powerful influence
Participation in sustainable development initiatives
In addition to the PRI, CDPQ participates in and supports various initiatives in this area:
- Conducted a study on the representation of women on the boards of directors of public companies
- Supported the initiative by the Canadian Board Diversity Council
- Participated on sustainable development committees of organizations including the Real Property Association of Canada, the International Council of Shopping Centers, the Quebec Business Council on the Environment, the Canada Green Building Council and BOMA Québec
- Organized conferences on themes related to responsible investment and sustainable development
- Continuous monitoring of initiatives or consultations organized by various organizations, including PRI, PRI Québec, the Financial Stability Board, the OECD, the Coalition for Environmentally Responsible Economies and the Securities and Exchange Commission